.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

DIY Clear Glass Lamp

Sooo...Pregnancy took the domesticity out of me real quick. Actually that's not true, it took the "crafting" part out of me. I was all about cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning. I was super O.C.D. about it- I would re-clean something that I had just deep cleaned the day before. I had this feeling throughout most of my pregnancy that I had to be prepared in case he came early... and of course he was a week late. Well now that he is here, and we have settled into each other a bit- I'M BACK- and it feels great. I have a million projects started around the house, and not too many are finished. Here is one that is:

I have seen clear glass lamps all over the place and LOVE LOVE LOVE them, but I don't love the hefty price tag that comes along with them. Why in the world are lamps so expensive anyways?!?!??! I don't get it.

Let me back up a minute... During my middle of the night feedings I usually google ideas that pop in my head, and end up browsing through blogs of course (on my phone- one handed). It keeps me awake so I don't fall asleep and drop Liam. Well I have no idea how I came across it (blame the drowsiness for my lack of memory) but I found this blog called Triangle Honeymoon and their post about a DIY clear glass lamp inspired by Crate & Barrel's Zak lamp that costs $229!

 Crate & Barrel

They made one themselves....so why couldn't I?

Here are the supplies I used:



I turned the vase upside down and started drilling a hole in the middle of the bottom of the vase (soon to be the TOP of my lamp base). Ryan saw me doing this and decided it looked fun and wanted to take over... be my guest! So actually RYAN drilled the hole with lots of input (aka nagging) from me. Keep the area wet- thats what google said... dont go to fast it will crack... slow down.... don't put too much pressure on it. I'm sure I was a little bit annoying. =)   It came out perfect and it was a good inch thick of glass on top.
Once the top hole was drilled, he drilled one on the side, closer to the opening of the vase. This is where the cord would come.

 I stuck the wire through the side hole, then slid on the white rubber end cap, then stuck the end through the hole on the bottom of the vase (top of the lamp).

Once the wire is through the top hole, attach the rest of the lamp kit in the order that the instructions (that come with the kit) say. I would go over them, but its pretty self explanatory.

 This is where I added some Gorilla Glue. I put a bit of glue on the screw and on the bottom of the metal piece (technical term), to make sure it didn't twist around.
And here is the finished lamp, sitting in my living room....

I have been working on a gallery wall behind my couch, s o excuse the empty (or store photos) frames I finally got all of the frames up, but haven't finished putting art inside them yet. More on that later.
Since there is so much going on on the wall I really wanted an understated lamp that wouldn't be "too much" in front of all those frames. This is perfect!


31 comments:

  1. karli you are so creative and smart! and im so happy youre blogging again!! one day when im a real grown up with a house i plan to stay in i plan on doing all these things you do :o) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really love this! filing this away in the to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I just returned a glass lamp to JCP because I couldn't clean the inside of it. It was covered in dust. Yours is perfect. Easy to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are back!!! I love this project and may have to pull it off this weekend. I've been searching everywhere for a lamp to go on our dresser. I love the gallery wall, can't wait to see more of it. I've had all the frames hung in our room for months and just now ordered the pics today. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful against your gallery wall! I want to try this now:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I think I have a few glass vases lying around that *need* to turn into lamps! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Karli! I wonder if I could find a vase thingy like that, but acrylic, in an attempt to be unbreakable from my little menace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so creative! I love what you did...I may have to do it myself...Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous!! I want to make one too...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What size is the drill bit you used?

    ReplyDelete
  12. WONDERFUL! I would love to know the drill bit size as well! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous DIY! This is such a unique take on table lamps :) thanks for sharing!

    Tasia
    http://rufflesandsequins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great blog and pics:)
    Kisses from New York:)
    www.TheBrunetteWorld.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing. =) A creative soul you are.

    Followed the blog btw, hope you do not mind. And maybe you'll visit me someday.


    thebookness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your DIY glass lamp! I want to see more about your wall gallery, though! :) I would like to do something similar and thought that I would do the frames first and add the artwork/photos gradually, too. Love your blog; hope you blog again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do agree with all of the ideas you've presented for your post. They're really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are very short for novices. May just you please prolong them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.
    Gordini Girl's Fall Line Gloves

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks so great! & so do-able. may have to give it a try! xoxo linds of www.rubygirlblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a beautiful blog with so many inspiring posts! Congrats on your work!
    Would you like to keep in touch following each other?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Home lighting trends also have to do with floor lamps, table lamps, and all varieties of lighting that are not installed in a wall or ceiling. The shapes, sizes, colors, and patterns used in lamps have a great deal to do with home lighting trends. The same is true for the kinds of materials that are used to make the bases and shades of lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Miss your posings! Mel

    ReplyDelete
  22. If it's a lamp to be used during daylight hours as well as during later evening hours you may want to consider a three-way bulb lamp that allows you to change the illumination level.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cleaning Twickenham No matter what you are trying to get blood out from, the club soda does perfect job. You simply have to drizzle some over the blood-affected spot and let it stay for like minute or so. After that, with a clean sponge blot up everything that gets on the surface. Instead of club soda you could try also dish detergent mixed with water. If the blood stain is on some of your clothes, you will simply have to fill the sink with cold water and add couple of spoons salt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. change the order of drilling, the side first, then the top, the side is a lot more likely to crack than the top and it goes through a lot quicker, a lot of time and frustration would be had if you cracked the bottom after spending so much time on the top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! You were able to make your own table lamp that easy?! I’ll buy the supplies needed first thing tomorrow morning and I’ll start on my own lampshade too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good Information. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Sonneman Lights offers the very best in bathroom lights, Table Lamps, ceiling lights, floor lights, modern lighting, wall lights and pendant lights.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your version! I never really liked the open bottom ones because they just looked awkward--yours is simply lovely! I think the shape of the vase you chose is wonderful :) I picked up a gorgeous glass pillar candle holder that I'm dying to make into a lamp; just need to hop over to grab a lamp kit. SO excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are beautiful, just like you would find in the stores! Take a look at these DIY lamps...they're are different but the process is similar.

    http://www.hue13.com/original-diy-lights/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it! Thanks for the tutorial. What are the dimensions of the vase?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...