Now that we have a nice oven, the nasty vent sticks out like sore thumb... not like it didn't before I guess. But really- it was BAD! Whoever lived here before decided to paint it, then cover it with blue gingham contact paper that was peeling off, then a little more paint. I looked into replacing it but that was quickly found as NOT an option. Even a used one was running well over $300. And since it is 42" long I couldn't even find one that size. I thought maybe I would sand down the unevenness and paint it with a chalkboard paint. The result that came out is way better than I thought.
While looking for a stain at Lowes (for a different project), my eyes wondered over to a can of Stripper. There was one made esspecially to remove paint and adhesive from metal. Perfect! For $10.28 it was worth a shot.
I got as much off as I could but some was still stuck on there pretty good. I did one more coat of Stripper, waited, scraped, then got some steel wool and scrubbed the rest off.
But it is not Stainless steel- just regular ol' steel, so it doesn't exactly match the oven and it has a tint of blue to it rather than a silver tone. The color is a bit uneven and tarnished looking at a closer look. Plus my dad said it will rust after time since it isn't stainless, especially since it is from 1947. So I think I'm going to try to find a steel polish to shine it up a bit more, and then apply some type of clear coat to prevent rusting. If it doesn't improve maybe I will paint it still.
Not too bad for under $11 instead of well over $300.